It’s just 7 days until the official start of the Salmon Fishing Season Once Again in California
Here is some news from the local harbors:
Nearly every harbor that was contacted this week is expecting record amounts of anglers coming to drop their poles in search of the salmon.
- If you are planning on taking out your private fishing boat, please be prepared for delays in launching your fishing boat. There is a very good chance that there will be lines many boats long of other fishermen launching in front of you.
- If you have not gone through and done a safety items check on your fishing boat, do that this weekend
- Purchase your fishing license early, there is always a chance that the physical licenses will be all sold out, and most people are getting them online. You can go to the California Department of Fish and Game Site to purchase fishing licenses. HERE
- Make sure you boat is registered for 2011, otherwise you can expect the Coast Guard to board your boat or more likely the local harbor patrol, they usually have a field day on opening days of salmon season checking for current registration and safety equipment
- Don’t go fishing without life jackets no matter what.
- Also, nobody ever knows what the weather conditions are going to be like when you are out fishing, if you want to get something that may very well save your boat and your crew, buy some safety flares
Most importantly, check the fishing and weather conditions so you know what to expect the day you go fishing. Currently, the water conditions are very rough in many parts of the California coast, but the seas and the fishing is expected to be very doable come next weekend.
Be safe, and have fun at California’s Opening Salmon Fishing Day!